Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rubik's cube obsession

Sooo...I may or may not have spent part of my winter break teaching myself how to solve a Rubik's cube by watching and rewatching a few YouTube videos on the subject. Ok I did much to my brother's amusement, I spent a few days devoted to the multicolored puzzle ...........but 26 years?!
For the last 26 years Graham Parker has been obsessed with solving Rubik's cube. He finally did it. 'I cannot tell you what a relief it was to finally solve it,' the 45-year-old from Portchester, Hampshire, said. 'It has driven me mad over the years – it felt like it had taken over my life.

'I have missed important events to stay in and solve it and I would lie awake at night thinking about it.

'I have had wrist and back problems from spending hours on it but it was all worth it. When I clicked that last bit into place and each face was a solid color, I wept.'

Wow.... I mean I can imagine it might take 26 years to solve the puzzle without the help of my YouTube friend but was it part of the deal that he couldn't have any external instruction or tips? These days the new cubes come with an insert with step-by-step instructions of how to complete it. Yikes... 26 years. I wish someone would have sent him this... (this is Part 2)


(via BoingBoing)