Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lykke Li

After leaving Lykke Li's show at the Belly Up last night, I thought I might try out the hair parted down the center into a bun look that Lykke Li ever so cooly pulled off. But then I had images of my high school dance team and decided I'd leave that look in the past. Lykke Li on the other hand rocked my world last night. I know, a pretty bold statement.

At the last minute, my friend Natalie and I swiped Jack Johnson's tickets (that's how we roll in San Diego) and saw a sensational show by Lykke Li. The opening band, The Afternoons were loud and 'poppy', but ever so enjoyable. I checked their myspace out this morning and have to admit, they sounded better live than they did online. But they're from the UK so they will be added to my iTunes. Oh, and the random solo chick in the band had pink hair which was awesome. Finally out came Lykke Li. She dominated that stage. Her voice .... goodness. She swirled around and around, periodically singing into a bullhorn. I mean, really, who can pull that off? Miss Li can. I'd say she could take Britney in dancing duel any day. Plus her style is pretty solid.

Here's some excerpts from an interview she recently did:

In the chorus of ‘Everybody But Me,’ what’s the third thing you mention?
[Sings:] ‘When everybody’s drinking…when everybody’s smoking…when everybody’s’…ugh, what the fuck do I say? It’s about everybody being high. Oh, [sings] ‘When everybody’s floating.’ Floating on ecstasy.
Do you not do those things?
Yeah, I do those things. Of course. But there was one particular night when I didn’t. When you’re out and everybody’s high and you’re not feeling it. It’s that night.
What do you want to do all day when you’re an old woman?
Smoke weed and hang out with my grandkids.
If you were only allowed to dance or to sing, which would you choose? You would not be allowed to move while singing.
You ask a hard question. Um, sing. I hope this doesn’t happen.

We fell a little bit, a little bit in love with Lykke Li last night.


Breaking it up – alternative live video. Filmed by: Christian Haag from Lykke Li on Vimeo.