So by now you've have undoubtedly heard the scandal surrounding Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich. Trying to sell a Senate seat to the highest bidder? Completely embarrassing and yet I'm not surprised. Saw the recaps Tuesday evening on ABCNews with Charlie Gibson (I just can't bring myself to call him Charles)... the fact that he jokes with reporters regarding his conduct and entices them to bug him.... unbelievable. Pulled this from This Is Not Your Voice..... sums up this whole fiasco.
NBC5 came up with the top quotes regarding the proceedings. Here they are, including one where Blago called the president-elect a ‘motherf------.’
- “If (Illinois) isn’t the most corrupt state in the United States, it’s certainly one hell of a competitor.” — FBI Special Agent In-Charge Robert Grant.
- “The conduct would make Lincoln roll over in his grave.” — U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald.
- “Make Lincoln roll over? This would make Nixon roll over.” — Gotcha, a poster on the nbcchicago.com forums.
- “Once again, the people of Illinois have learned that a Governor has engaged in a shockingly flagrant scheme to sell his power and authority to the highest bidder.” — Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan.
- ROD BLAGOJEVICH said that the consultants (Advisor B and another consultant are believed to be on the call at that time) are telling him that he has to “suck it up” for two years and do nothing and give this “motherf*&% [the President-elect] his senator. F*&$ him. For nothing? F$#@ him.” — Alleged quotes from Blagojevich in affidavit.
- “I had no contact with the governor or his office. so I was not aware of what was happening and, as I said, it was a sad day for Illinois.” — President-Elect Barack Obama.
- “I should say if anybody wants to tape my conversations, go right ahead, feel free to do it. I appreciate anybody who wants to tape me openly and notoriously. Those who feel like they want to sneakily and wear taping devices, I would remind them that it kind of smells like Nixon and Watergate.” — Blagojevich speaking to reporters on Monday, before he was arrested.
- “I was losing sleep. I laid awake at night thinking about those editors.” — U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald, discussing the wiretaps where Blagojevich allegedly tried to have critical Chicago Tribune editors fired.
- “… if they feel like they can do this and not f*&^ing give me anything . . . then I’ll f&%$ing go [Senate Candidate 5].” — Alleged quotes from Blagojevich in affidavit.
- “No appointment by this governor, under these circumstances, could produce a credible replacement.” — Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin, speaking to reporters from Washington D.C.