Here's one way to try it out...
- One 1.75 liter bottle of vodka ( do avoid the cheap ones)
- Five 8.5 ounce flasks or bottles
- One 1 pound bag of Skittles
- Five empty plastic water bottles
- A funnel
- Bowls for separating the Skittles into flavors
- A measuring cup
- Coffee filters or paper towels
Cover workspace with newspaper or freezer paper - the infusion can get messy. If you’re making a different sized batch, here’s the formula you need to know: 60 Skittles to 6 ounces of vodka, which yields about 8 ounces of infused vodka. If you want to make 1.5 times that, or 3 times that, just multiply your amounts.
STEP 1: Start by simply separating the Skittles into flavors. You want 60 of each.
STEP 2: Fill your water bottles with 6 ounces of vodka each. It doesn’t need to be exact - you can always even it out later by pouring in a bit more vodka to the ones that come out with less.
STEP 3: Pour the Skittles of one flavor into one infusion bottle, then pour the next flavor of Skittles into the next infusion bottle, and so on until all five bottles have a pile of Skittles soaking in the vodka (a funnel helps).
STEP 4: Now your infusion bottles all have Skittles in the bottom. Give each bottle a good shake - the more, the better. After shaking them, set them aside for a few hours. It’s a good idea to shake them again then, especially if you’re making a bigger batch. Might need to let dissolve overnight. Once they’re all dissolved, you’ll notice a lot of white muck floating at the top. We’ll take care of this in Step 5.
STEP 5: There are a number of ways to strain this stuff and get all the white gunk out. Some people prefer paper towels, but coffee filters word just as well. Put a funnel inside a measuring cup, then put four coffee filters in the funnel. It’s hard to say exactly how many you’ll need, since not all coffee filters are exactly the same (orange and green needed more filtration than the others).
In the end, you’ll have about 8 ounces of Skittle infused vodka. Then take the liquid from the measuring cup and poured it into a flask, via a clean funnel. If it's too thick, try to re-filter it.
Repeat this process for each flavor.
STEP 6: Now you’ve got 5 flasks or bottles of Skittles infused vodka.
Stick them in the freezer for several hours - overnight is fabulous…
These are pretty strong on their own - nearly pure vodka. They are also very sweet. You can drink them straight, served up in a chilled martini glass, or you can use them in a cocktail:
- Mix them with ginger ale, 7-up or Sprite to taste
- Mix them with cola to taste (diet cola cuts the sweetness a little)
- Serve them on the rocks to water it down a little
- Some people mix them with fruit juice.
- Everyone’s taste varies - there are so many directions you can take this drink in, you really should try anything that sounds good to you!