Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bucket List - Amazon


So lately, I've entertained the thought (fantasy) of trekking out into the Amazon jungle/rain forest and "getting back to nature." Therefore, I consider my recent stumble upon these ecolodges featured on DailyCandy a sign from fate. We must go. Believe it or not back in the day I went on my share of camping trips.. yes some might have been in cabins or on elevated platforms but others (one time) were the legitimate put up your own tent kind of trips. Surprising I know. Some have even gone as far to call me a modern day Henry David Thoreau.

Ohhh but friends these lodges are what I call luxury camping.... The Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica is located in the rain forest of southern Peru on the banks of the Madre de Dios River. The area is known for its efforts in sustainable tourism and biodiversity research. Upon arriving at the lodge, guests are able to customze an internierary based on individual interests and activity levels. Highlights include...jungle treks and paddles, hiking in the rain forest, treetop canopy views, plant study, bird watching, butterfly farms, a botanical garden called "Concepcion" and an overall education in nature. Sounds and looks amazing.
http://www.inkaterra.com/en/reserva-amazonica

-Click here for more pictures. Unfortunately I wasn't able to upload them. The rooms are gorgeous! On the third page of the pictures, I can totally see myself in one of the green chairs next to the telescope learning about species of birds.
-Read an article on the Puerto Maldonado area and Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica that was featured in this April 2008 edition of Vanity Fair.
-Click here for more information on other rain forest ecolodges.

Image provided by inkaterra.com
Image provided by http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_998.html