Thursday, April 30, 2009

Top Prom Songs of 09

Prom ... (pause for the flashback of those ever so cherished or forgotten memories)

To be honest, I have no idea what was played at any of my proms. The only thing I really liked about prom was the dress purchase and the before and after activities that surrounded the dance. Here's what about.com has to say about prom: prom is remembered by many as one of the most significant events of high school. The music played at prom may stick with you for a lifetime.

Not for this gal. Anyways, they compiled a list of the "10 of the hottest songs for making those memories in 2009".

I thoroughly enjoy the descriptions music snobbery gives each song below.
(excuse a few of their expletives)

1. Lady GaGa featuring Colby O'Donis -- "Just Dance": Every picture I see of Lady Gaga, she looks like she has every venereal disease in existence.

2. Taylor Swift - "Love Story" -- Boys, if your date insists on dancing to this, head for the toilet.

3. The Veronicas - "Untouched" -- They've been labeled a breaking artist for like four years now. They can't even sell out successfully.

4. Boys Like Girls - "Thunder"-- Ahhh, whiny bitch music from guys who look like thye spend more time on their hair than they do their music.

5. Sarah McLachlan - "I Will Remember You"-- Oh, barf. I've told this story before but I liked this girl in college who was a huge Sarah McLachlan fan. Thus, I bought all her albums in order to get on her good side. Come on, you probably done the same thing.

Check the text from the story: This is a classic Sarah McLachlan hit from the '90s. It works perfectly as a closing last dance at prom. McLachlan's voice is haunting here as she asks, "Will you remember me?"

Ha, maybe if you have my baby.

6. Plain White T's - "1,2,3,4"-- Shucks, not a cover of the Feist song. What I find funny about this band is that all their promo pictures feature the faux-emo lead singer dead center while the others are blurred out. It reminds me of the scene in Almost Famous -- "It is about the fucking t-shirt."

7. Akon featuring Colby O'Donis and Kardinal Offishall - "Beautiful" -- Do the people get to throw a kid into the crowd during this song?

8. Oasis - "Wonderwall" -- You know I'm an Oasis guy, but this is their "Love Shack" song. It's the song everyone knows, but the fans just can't stand it because it's played over and over.

9. We the Kings - "Check Yes Juliet" -- Never heard of this band, but I gather it's one of those thinly veiled Christian Rock bands. Listening to the song now. Nah, whiny bitch, mall skater punk music.

10. Ne-Yo - "Closer" -- I think all these solo male R&B artists might be the same person, but given different names to fool the public.

The best... here's writer for this list:

Bill_lambThis list comes from this fellow: Bill Lamb, who's a music journalist and their Top 40 expert. He also looks like he can detail your car for $39.95. That's the kind of photo you see on shopping carts in PathMark or A&P.